I’m not usually one to get excited about cake, but after tasting the “John Rea Realty Valentine Cake” this week, I have been dying to try making it at home. (Mainly so I can have the entire cake to myself) Apparently, this cake has been a yearly Valentine’s Day tradition at John Rea Realty for over 15 years. Selene Rea made it for John years ago and brought the rest to the office for hungry Realtors. Well, it was a hit and she started making it every year (If there’s anything Realtors love almost as much as selling houses, it’s food). One year she forgot to make the cake, and there was a little concern around the office that she wasn’t in the “Valentine’s Day spirit”. After reassuring everyone that things were fine and dandy with her marriage “Thank you very much!”, Selene resumed the tradition. I for one am grateful that I got to partake! Trust me, if you want to make your significant other, friends, co-workers or just yourself very happy, follow the recipe below.
John Rea Realty Valentine Cake or Strawberry Nut Layer Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 small box strawberry jello
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs, added one at a time
- 1 cup halved frozen strawberries, thawed/drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Mix first 5 ingredients with mixer. Add strawberries and mix well. Stir in pecans. Pour mixture into prepared cake pans* and bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean.
* 3 cake pans make a pretty layered cake. For Valentine heart shaped cake, bake in one square pan and one round pan. Arrange the square cake with a corner for bottom of Valentine. Cut the round cake in half. Put one half with the round side up along one side of the square cake, and the other half goes round side up with straight side touching another side of the square cake. This will create the heart shape! (Diagram below should help if the wording here is confusing!)
Put icing between layers to hold them together, then ice the rest of the cake.
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 stick softened real butter
- 1/2 cup halved frozen strawberries, thawed and drained (reserve juice)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Beat butter well with mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add juice as needed, do not add too much as strawberries will also add juice. Add strawberries last.
Diagram for making cakes into a heart shaped Valentine: